My Personal [Apartment] Audiovisual & Control Systems: …an ongoing passion project
*scroll down to see photos
· Centralized Audiovisual Switching/Scaling Infrastructure for multi-zone content distribution
o supports A/V source distribution to any/all of (5) audio zones & (4) video zones throughout the apartment!!!
· AMX automated control via graphical user interfaces on AMX touch panels.
o System control interfaces can also be accessed from computers and smart phones on my wifi network (via VNC client connection to AMX touch panel servers).
· NEW AMX/Crestron Control System Hybridization through my recent integration of a Crestron PRO2 Control Processor.
o The PRO2 executes advanced control operations on connected RS-232 & IR devices (via internal SIMPL logic program) to yield functionality requested by the centralized AMX NI-4100 Master Processor.
o This AMX/Crestron inter-processor communication protocol is a simple custom-defined ASCII string command structure exchanged between the two programs via TCP/IP port-23 (telnet) network connection.
o My motivation for creating this hybrid control system is purely educational (to sharpen my skills in BOTH Netlinx & SIMPL programming)
· BIAMP AudiaFLEX Audio DSP Processing
· EXTRON High-Definition Video Switching/Scaling
· Kramer High-Definition Video Scaling (1080i)
· Standard Definition Video Surviellence (including TANDBERG Pan/Tilt/Zoom Camera Control), with recording capability on DVD, solid-state flash memory, or PC capture.
· …and more!!!
New Photos! – March 2016
My Equipment Rack w/ Expanded Audiovisual Infrastructure & Control System design for greater capability & flexibility:
Further AMX GUI development:
Below, 12” AMX
modero touch panel next to my Home Office workstation (more GUI screenshots
· Below, 7” AMX modero touch panel in front of Kitchen LED display (more GUI screenshots coming soon!)
· Also note the Biamp Volume-8 for the option of direct AudiaFLEX DSP fader adjustment (bypassing AMX control system).
o The first (5) selections are configured for the output faders of the (5) audio zones in my apartment.
o The 8th selection is a ganged HOUSE fader for quick attentuation or boost across all (5) audio zones.
Summer 2015 Photos:
· You may notice what appears to be a Crestron 2-series processor at the top of my rack below. I was so excited to receive this free Crestron CNMSX-PRO processor from a client and was eager to create the hybrid system I now have. HOWEVER, long story short, this Crestron CNMSX-PRO processor pre-dates Toolbox and instead requires the antiquated Viewport software just to load the program. Not to mention it’s extremely limited in SIMPL programming capability. …
Upon learning it
would not work for my purposes, I scrapped the CNMSX-PRO and spent $225 for a
PRO2 on eBay – a great deal and I’m very happy with it!!!
Older Photos: taken during or before 2014
My Equipment Rack:
· the heart my centralized audio/video system
the brain of my integrated AMX control
Smart Phone Control: (screen capture from my Windows 8.1 phone; photo on right of iPhone app control)
· I can access and control touch panels from my phone (or laptop) via VNC client application.
· On right, a quick volume control page I threw together for my girlfriend’s iPhone while exploring the AMX TPControl app using my developer license.
My [old] living
room display showing video from the pan/tilt/zoom TANDBERG camera above it,
zoomed/focused on the kitchen display which is also showing the camera feed creating
inside the video, inside the video… and so on” effect as a
NOTE: Above is my old 32” Samsung LCD which failed in Feb 2014 following an extended brownout caused by a fast moving windstorm that impacted power throughout the northern VA area. I have since upgraded.
· Fixed in living room; always recording my home office and equipment rack (via Swann DVR) for piece of mind.
· One of my wireless touch panels, showing an older version of my user interface, next to one of my favorite posters.
© 2016, Devin R. Ott